Friday, March 6, 2009

Homemade Laundry Detergent

I've seen this posted on a few of my friends blogs and decided I'm going to give it a try! I'm hoping to tackle this tomorrow, if I'm feeling better! I've been battling the stomach flu today!
Anyway here is what you'll need and the recipe: (all 3 can be found in the laundry soap isle)




The powdered version:

Powdered Laundry Detergent
2 cups grated Fels Naptha Soap- you usually find this on the top shelf somewhere in the laundry detergent aisle. They go for around $1.75 a bar. It just looks like a bar of soap. 1 bar I think equals 2 cups.
1 cup Washing Soda- you can also find this in the laundry detergent aisle, the brand name is most likely Arm and Hammer.
1 cup 20 Mule Team Borax-usually found right next to the washing soda.
Mix and store in an airtight container or bag. For light loads use
1 tablespoon. For normal loads use 2 tablespoons, and for heavy loads use 3 tablespoons.
Note: You will get a little more than 3 loads out of the boxes of washing soda and 20 Muleteam.

The liquid Version:

Liquid Laundry Detergent-

5 gallon bucket
1 bar grated Fels Naptha soap
1 cup Washing Soda
1 cup 20 Mule Team Borax
4.5 gallons HOT water

Put grated Fels Naptha in saucepan and cover with water. Heat on low until dissolved. Fill 5 gal. bucket with 4.5 gallons of HOT water, and add the dissolved soap. Stir to combine.Add 1 cup Washing Soda, and 1 cup Borax and mix as well. As it cools, it will thicken, if it becomes too thick you can add more hot water to desired consistancy. Mix well before each use. Use 1/2 cup for a normal load, and 1 cup for a heavy load.

Check this out for information about this and how she has calculated to be .01 cent per load.


2 comments:

RPH said...

Sweet Tam! I am so glad you are doing this. Be sure and post how it turns out. I just made my 2nd batch. It is so easy.

Turley Family said...

I was hoping you would blog about this!