Monday, November 24, 2008

Polar Express

This weekend we surprised the kids and headed up to Flagstaff to take a ride on the Polar Express in Williams! They had no idea what we were doing other than going to Flagstaff and that there was something special we were going to do! On the way up the suspense was killing them so Devin and I offered to give them some clues.

Clue #1 - You've never done it before!
Ry's answer: Rock Climbing!

Clue #2 - You have to wear you jammies!
Ry's answer: Sleep Walking!

Clue #3 - You have to do it at night!
Ry's answer: Hunt for food!
Don't ask me where she came up with this stuff but we were laughing so hard!

Clue #4 - We played the Polar Express CD for them
No answer from either!

So we finally told them that we were going to the North Pole on the Polar Express. Liam was ecstatic and Ryleigh didn't believe us and kept telling us we were lying.

I wish we had a recorder in the truck because there were lots of funny things said. We would have had to turn it off when we were yelling at them to be quiet! Liam kept saying "for goodness sakes!" At one point after we stopped to go potty in Cordes Junction I told Liam "it was a good opportunity for him to take a nap." About a 1/2 hour later he says to me "Mom this is a good opportunity for me to fall asleep!" On the way up Ryleigh was reading all the signs to us! I know lovely, it makes for a long trip, but you can't say anything when they are practicing reading. Anyway, at one point she said "Mom, that sign said ice cream maybe?" I told her that it actually said "Ice may be present", then we had a long discussion about what that meant! I thought that was cute.

Devin and Meg waiting for the train



This is me trying to keep the kids entertained while we waited for over an hour to ride the train!
We walked around taking pictures.


All waiting, we got hot chocolate to keep us warm!
I don't recommend getting there too early!


Finally got 1/2 a smile out of this one!


I thought this was funny!


The kids hear and see the train coming! Finally!


Liam can hardly believe it! He said that "it was the best day ever!"
"Because he got to ride a train, he gets to go to the North Pole, he gets a cookie and hot cocoa!"


Here it comes


The conductor and the chef


All Aboard!


Let's go!


Arriving at the North Pole


Ryleigh seeing the North Pole and Santa


There's Santa


Santa got on the train and with the help of his elf he handed bells out to all the little kids!


Ryleigh getting her bell


Meg even got one


And of course Liam


Then it was back to the depot! We sang Christmas carols and had a lot of fun
being loud and feeling the spirit of Christmas!
We had a great time! It would have been better if it was snowing! But we were freezing as it was! Ry was a little skeptical but Liam and Meg seemed to enjoy every bit of it!

5 comments:

juliespahr said...

Wow! The train looks empty! Soooo nice! When we went it was so crowded! So maybe earlier is better?! I'm glad they had such a good time!

RPH said...

FUN! I love that you shared a lot of pictures. And I like the one with your reflection in the Santa picture. This po-dunk town has nothing like that, I am so jealous!

M & S Eagar said...

okay we did this a couple of years ago here in Ohio and the kids LOVED it! Actually....Matt and i loved it too! Such a neat thing. My kids even have a Polar Express day at school this year.

Krystal said...

Looks like a fun time!!! We will have to go next year!
Krystal

Mike and Jamie said...

Looks like a good time! We went last year. It was crazy! There were lots of people and the wait for Santa was long. IT snowed the week after we went. It was a lot of fun.