Friday, October 24, 2008

1st Quarter Down

I went to my very first Parent Teacher Conferences today! Ryleigh's was first and to my pleasant surprise she was running 5 minutes ahead of schedule! Great, or so I thought! I went in and sat down, her teacher Mrs. Nesheim said she is a pleasure to have in class and is eager to learn! But, she is struggling in reading! She is reading 42 words a minute and should be at 44. She struggles most when she needs to sound out a word, she doesn't like doing it and wants someone to just tell her what the word is! So we will be working on that both at school and home. Even with that she made Honor Roll, which means your GPA has to be 90% or better! So we are very pleased about that! I had a nice visit with her teacher and was able to get a little more insight of what goes on in her class.
Here are her grades for the 1st Quarter:

Language Arts 96%
Math 99%
Penmanship E
Phonics 84%
Reading 95%
Spelling/Vocab 94%
Science 100%
Social Studies 90%
Writing 93%
Art E
Computer S
Library S
Music S
PE S
Academic Effort E
Citizenship E
Homework E

She also added this on
Q1: Eager to please


Liam's was scheduled 10 minutes after Ry's but since her teacher was running ahead I got downstairs to Liam's class and had to wait. His teacher was running behind (that's why it wasn't as great as I thought!) It was hot outside to have to wait for almost 20 minutes. I found a shady spot on the playground to stand and wait and looked through Ryleigh's paperwork I was given. When it was finally my turn I went in and his teacher Mrs. Wheat said to me "Oh, I am glad it's Liam's mom, it gives me a chance to catch up!" A little confused I asked "What do you mean?" She said "I don't have any problems or complaints about Liam he is great! Do you have any questions for me, if not I'm going to use this time to catch up!" I asked "So he has been on good behavior for you? Because he tells me he is good but I want to make sure!" She assured me that there is no problems with him and that he is a pleasure to have in class! Yeah! He has been such a hard kid from birth, I was really stressed about him starting school! I was just sure he would be in the principal's office for punching a kid or telling someone to shut up! I was on cloud 9! He also made the Honor Roll!

Liam's grades:
Math 98%
Penmanship 93%
Phonics 99%
Reading/comprehension 97%
Spelling/vocab 95%
Art E
Computer S
Language Arts S
Library S
Music S
PE S
Social Studies S
Science S
Writing S
Academic Effort S
Citizenship S

She also added these on
Q1: A pleasure to have in class
Q2: Eager to learn

We are so proud of both of these kids! Noah Webster is a Charter school and it's a hard school! They are both learning things one year ahead of what kids in public schools are learning. Liam is learning 1st grade stuff and Ryleigh is learning 3rd grade things. They push them really hard and they seem to be keeping up for the most part! I couldn't be happier!

1 comment:

Jennifer Wheeler said...

Yea for Noah Webster! It is so nice to know that our kids are getting a great education and learning at an accelerated pace. Good for Ryleigh and Liam! Sounds like they're doing great in school.